2.7.13

Travel Tip: Always bring an umbrella.


Hilltop Hostel
Really, I think the rain is following us.

We got to D.C. around 1 pm and it was pretty sunny and warm outside. A few hours later, it's raining on me as I go to park the car. This didn't really deter me. I was a woman on a mission. Unfortunately, I was a woman on a mission without an umbrella.

While we were waiting to check in to Hilltop Hostel, I walked down the street looking for some lunch options. There's a great looking Caribbean/American restaurant, but it only takes cash. I passed it up and went for Souper Girl. It blew my mind.

Dinner at Souper Girl
It's a soup cafe, which doesn't sound like much, but the soups are vegan, kosher, and made with locally sourced ingredients. I had the Quinoa and Greens soup with a whole wheat roll. It was about $6, and well, well worth it. Delicious, nutritious, fast, convenient and cheap, Souper Girl is a win. 

After I ate, we got settled in. Then, I went online and looked for vintage clothing shops nearby. I lucked out and found one just a few blocks away! It's called Polly Sue's and the website advertises vintage clothes at competitive prices. I don't know about you, but in my experience, those two things rarely coincide. Polly Sue's lives up to its advertising! I happened upon the shop right before closing time, so I didn't have time to try on the fantastic selection of dresses, but I did buy two pair of earrings (reasonably priced at $6.50 a pair). And I plan to go back soon!

I grabbed a gyro to go from Olive Lounge, which I enjoyed. I felt like it was a bit overpriced, but I'm probably just operating on my small town budget.

The highlight of dinner was Key Lime Pie gelato from the Dolei Gelati Cafe. It had just the right amount of sour to kick like lime and bits of graham cracker to really evoke a sense of pie. Good gelato is good gelato and most places have similar prices. Dolei did have some unique flavors and a location that I just can't beat.

MLK Jr Memorial
After all of that adventuring, it was almost 8 pm. All of the museums were closed and most shops and attractions were closed for the night as well. I hadn't planned on spending much time at the National Mall, but since it was late and nothing else was open, I went ahead. The Mall was beautiful at night. The MLK Jr. Memorial is new since my last trip, so I spent some extra time there. It's a beautiful memorial that makes great use of quotes from MLK Jr. throughout, which adds a personal touch.

Washington Monument
Staying in a hostel has been an interesting experience. The neighborhood is very safe, with a large helping of holistic values (think yoga classes on every corner), but it's always something to get used to when you're sharing a room with three strangers. Kristina and I have met some interesting people, though, so that's been a nice side of it! There is a great atmosphere of respect for privacy and property in the hostel, as much as there can be. Unfortunately, Hilltop doesn't have a/c. And it's DC in July. It gets a bit warm to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment