28.6.13

Travel Tips: Leave early, pack healthy snacks, and bring allllll of the audio books.

I’m not sure I have the proper temperament for road trips. I have a tendency to be impatient and a bit anxious. Particularly when faced with unpredictable traffic. The first leg of our trip took us from Conway, AR to Nashville, TN. According to my lovely navigation device, this is a 5 ½ hour drive. I planned accordingly. We left Conway around 4, which was perfect.

But of course, road trip law dictates that nothing can be perfect. Around middle-of-nowhere between Little Rock and Memphis, we ran into some absolutely hellacious roadwork. The parked on the road for an hour and a half variety. I finally wised up and took the next exit onto Highway 70. Thank the lord for the highways.

I don’t know about you, but on trips with annoyingly long delays, I kind of just want to eat junk food the entire time. Luckily, thanks to some foresight and well stocked healthy snacks, like bananas and granola bars, clean eating is still going as planned. Friday night, we stayed with my cousin Mike, who sent us on our way with lunch for the road and snackage on Saturday.

Audiobooks made that extra-long day of driving bearable though. I’m nowhere near talkative enough to fill 7+ hours of driving. We listened to A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman and Louis C.K.’s routines, Hilarious and Chewed Up. For the Saturday trip, I turned on Princess of Mars. I love music, and have a road trip playlist all prepped, but the stories absolutely helped pass the time.

Even with all of the traffic and delays though, it’s been a really nice drive. Arkansas and Tennessee are beautiful states. Once we crossed into Tennessee, there were rest stops located about every 60 miles along the interstate. It’s also been nice and sunny! Unfortunately, the weather predicts rain for the next couple of days. Guess we’ll see how that goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment