30.6.13

Travel Tip: Always bring aluminum foil.

We thought we were sooo smart and prepared, bringing my granpa’s old camping stove.

We would’ve been smarter and more prepared if we had stopped to figure out if it worked, first.

As is, we were in the woods, trying to get this stove to start around lunch time. We were hungry and got tired of fooling with it, so we just went up to the Big Meadows Wayside to get lunch. I ordered a veggie burger and a side salad. It was excellent! Much better than fighting with a stove or trying to start a fire.

Unfortunately, dinner time rolled around and we still didn’t have a working stove. Kristina started building a fire and I started thinking of back up plans.

I struggled to remember the various non-stove recipes I’d seen on Pinterest (there was no cell service, so there was no quick Google-ing). I finally recalled a tutorial on cooking in foil packets that I’d seen (it was this one). 

Luckily, right before we left, I had thrown aluminum foil in the car. I grabbed that and then went through the cooler and found salsa, black beans, and smoked sausage. We cut up a bit of onion and threw it in foil, then tossed it on the fire. When we (carefully) pulled it off the fire, we sprinkled some cheese on top. Honestly? It wasn’t bad.  It was definitely better than going hungry or buying more expensive food from the wayside.

Thank God for Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment